Graphics in Ubuntu 8.04 are awesome  

Sunday, November 2, 2008

Ubuntu 8.04 compiz fusion fire effect

I’m writing this post from Ubuntu8.04 aka Hardy Heron. Graphics in Hardy are awesome,cool, breezy,hot (The fire effect :P) . Hardy was supposed to be released on 24th morning so i sticked to my browser refreshing their home page. It was released at 1830 hrs IST, I started downloading immediately. Initially i got good download speed but that died down slowly and the download halted completly, I tried downloading many times but all attempts failed. There were so many Ubuntu lovers who want to get their hands on Hardy, so the download servers were very busy and i even got 502 error, meaning the server is too busy to accept any new requests while i was trying to access www.ubuntu.com . Luckily for me someone from our college was successful in downloading hardy. He shared it on our LAN, without wasting any time i downloaded it from him. Burnt it on to a CD and rebooted the system.

Installation was a very smooth drive i did not encounter even a single problem. I don’t think anybody would require a HOW TO for installing Ubuntu 8.04 . Here are the steps briefly

My laptop Configuration:

Model number: HP DV6500t

Processor: T7100; Intel Core 2 Duo

Ram: 2gb ; Graphic Card: Nvidia GF 8400

I already had Windows XP installed on one of my drive

Skip this step 1 if you already have the CD

1.Burn the image to disk using nero. (Don’t burn it as a data disk)
2.Reboot the PC with the Ubuntu cd in CD drive.
3.Select try without installing ( recommended ) or install ubuntu.
Assuming that you selected “Try without installing” Click on the install ICON on the desktop.This will start up the partition manger.
4.Select “manual” else you would end up loosing all the data on your hard drive.
5.I alloted 30 gb for Ubuntu on my hard drive. ( 10-15 gb would be fine).
6.I’m using a separate partition for root and home.
7.If you alloted 15gb for Ubuntu then you can have 6gb for root and twice of your ram for SWAP and the rest for home.
8.Then you will have to select few simple configuration options and the installation starts.
Installation time on my comp was 30 min. Im used a CD R/W . Usually the reading speed from a CD R/W is less compared to that from a ordinary CD. So installation time can be less than 30min.
9.Then i downloaded the graphics driver, Graphic drvier is needed for compiz fusion.
10.Finally downloaded all the video codes and plugins.

Here are some screen shots of my Hardy, I will add more screen shots and a video very soon

Ubuntu 8.04 compiz fusion screen shot Ubuntu 8.04 compiz fusion window switcher Ubuntu 8.04 compiz fusion fire effect

AddThis Social Bookmark Button


 

Design by Shubham Aka Draco